January 20, 2009

I Got Your Stimulus Package Right Here

One of the strange things about being the head of an ad agency is that people think you know stuff.

It's not unusual for clients to ask me what I think about the economy or when I think the recession will end. Asking a copywriter about economics is like asking a cat about chemistry.

Nonetheless, when asked, I have to answer. So here's what my answers have been.
1. This "recession" is not a recession. We're calling it a recession because that's what we call it when business turns shitty. But this is different. I don't know what the hell it is, but it's different. And because it's something else, nobody knows what it is or where it goes. Anyone who says he does is full of shit.

2. Anyone who thinks she is not going to be affected by it is delusional.

3. Every day at work I feel like someone is peeling another layer of skin off me.

4. The ad business was in disarray before this economic downturn. This will accelerate the restructuring of the ad business.

5. If you're in the ad business, just be thankful you're not in the media business.


One more thing
...
Good luck to our new President. Dude, you're gonna need it.




Tomorrow
How Advertising Works - Part 4: The Second Principle

No comments: